Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Sew and Tell with the Tana Tutu Dress



It's time for another Sew and Tell pattern review!  This week, we'll be taking a little looksee at the Tana Tutu Dress by Nanoo Designs.  It comes in sizes 1-4.  I think every little girl at some point in her life decides she is going to be a ballerina, and then proceeds to leap and pirouette all over the house.  And it's quite possible she'll want to wear a leotard and tutu all day.  Everyday.  Aren't little girls just the cutest?  So why not make her a dress that still lets her feel like a ballerina while donning something a little more appropriate for say, church or school?  Even if your little girl isn't filling her days with dreams of being a prima ballerina, isn't this dress just stinkin' cute? 

Alicia Strayer from Muddie Puddles brings us today's Sew and Tell Review. 

  I took a quilting class three years ago and caught the sewing bug.  I then ventured into sewing clothes for my daughter, and I am addicted.  This pattern is perfect for beginners.  It is one of the first dresses I sewed when I started sewing and was able to achieve great results without too much frustration, or I wouldn't have made 5+ more of them.  The pattern runs true to size.  My daughter is 3 1/2.  The Christmas dress is a size 3, and the Tutu Dress is a  size 2. 

I think this is a great little dress if you need something in a hurry.  The pattern took about 4 1/2 hours to complete. Probably a little less if you don't have a little one bugging you.   Taping the pattern together took some adjusting as I am an OCD sewist, and I like everything to match up perfectly. LOL! 

 I made several dresses from the pattern and only used the ribbon method for the straps.  The pattern gives another option for the straps that involves fabric loops and ribbon.  I used a 1 1/2 ribbon on the bottom to add more emphasis.  This was one of the first dresses I made when I started sewing and attaching the ribbon along the bottom was just a little tricky.  I followed the directions on the first dress when sewing on the ribbon and sewed the top of the ribbon to the dress first, as stated.   I then cut the ribbon and sewed the bottom of the ribbon to the dress.  Since the dress curves as you go around you actually need a little more ribbon on the bottom than on the top.  So I would suggest sewing the bottom of the ribbon down, cut the ribbon (but leave at least inch overlap), and then sew the top of the ribbon to the dress.  I used a ruffler foot to gather the tulle which saves time.  You will use more tulle, so don't cut it until you have enough.  I also made the bow along the bottom detachable so that it doesn't get ruined when washing.  Adding an embroidered design really changes it up.  



Thanks so much to Alicia for being a part of our Sew and Tell feature!  Y'all, how cute is her little girl?  And those dresses are just precious!  You can get a special limited-time discount on Nanoo's Tana Tutu Dress on the website!  While you are there, check out all of Nanoo Design's patterns.  There is some serious cuteness going on!  If you have some photos of your Tana Tutu dress you would like to share, we'd love to see them!


Keeping in the spirit of tutus...

Why not whip up a No-Sew Princess Tutu for your tiny dancer?  Blissful Patterns has a great tutorial for you to make your own!  Available in sizes NB-10.




And to perfectly compliment your Tana Tutu Dress, why not try out the Tara Tutu Tights?  I bet you can't say that 5 times fast!  These are fun and unique, and oh so girly!  Create Kids Couture always has something new, so take a look at their pattern collection.  The Tara Tutu Tights are available in sizes 18m- 6. 





It's time to get sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I'll try to respond as quickly as I can! Have a fabulous day full of sewing!