Monday, January 7, 2013

Sew and Tell with the Precious Dress


Hello to all our sewing friends!  Hope everyone is having a blessed start to their New Year!  Did you make any New Year's resolutions?  Mine is to work my rear-end off to get our house ready to put on the market in the next month or two.  A new house means I will get a basement that can be used as my sewing haven (it's a requirement for all houses we look at.)  So I'm definitely motivated to stick with it ;)  Leave a comment letting us know what YOUR resolutions are for 2013!  We'd love to read them! 

We have a very special treat for you today... we are taking a look at the Precious Dress by the Scientific Seamstress!  Not only is this dress picture-perfect for Sunday morning, it could make a fabulous Easter dress!  Easter is March 31st this year... it will be here before you know it!  And if you have never sewn a pattern from Carla Crim, you are missing out, BIG TIME!  She has some of the most detailed, easy to understand, and educational patterns you will ever find.  There are always techniques and tips included that you can use in other sewing projects.  Her designs are great for beginners because she simplifies everything without losing any of the special details.  You might say she has pattern designing down to a science (you know you want to chuckle.) 

So take a look at the review and then go purchase this pattern on the website for a special 25% discount for the next few days!

 
 
My name is Diane Augustin.  I have been sewing for over 40 years, and I'm now selling in my Etsy shop at http://www.emke.etsy.com.
I made this Christmas dress for a very dear friend of mine using the Precious Dress by Scientific Seamstress.  I love her patterns because they are very easy to understand, but she also adds great tips that even someone more advanced can learn from.  This pattern was very easy to follow and with the great graphs its really easy to determine the length that you want your dress to be. 
The Precious Dress is a classic little girls dress, but I wanted to add a split ruffled over skirt.  I used the waistline bodice and used the apron waistband to add a velveteen sash to the front of the bodice.  I added a ruffle to the velveteen underskirt.  The over skirt was made by cutting down the center front and slightly rounding the corners and adding a ruffle.  I chose to make the overskirt slightly shorter than the underskirt.  I really liked the way the buttons are hidden inside the back placket so there aren't buttons showing on the outside.  I recommend this pattern to both beginning and advanced sewers.


Isn't that dress jaw-dropping?!  I would never have thought to add the split overskirt, but it is a wonderful addition!  Wouldn't that be a fabulous way to sew up an Easter dress?  Good grief, every time I post a new pattern review my mind starts racing of different ways I could use each pattern.  If only my house would clean itself, and I could sew all day!  And did you notice the different variations of the dress in the very first picture?  I love a pattern that gives you options! 

If you'd like to purchase the pattern, we're offering a 25% discount for the next few days on the website! 

 If you want to complete your picture-perfect outfit, here are some of our favorite suggestions! 



A dress like the Precious Dress is just begging to be paired with an adorable bonnet.  Why not take a look at Victoria's Bonnet from Olabelhe?  It's just so feminine and would great with the Precious Dress.  Love the flower attached to the side.  I wonder if I could get away with wearing one in my size?  Who doesn't love a good hat?

The weather is still cold, but that doesn't have to stop you from making your favorite short-sleeved dresses.  Pair your Precious Dress with this Basic Bolero from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop.  It comes in sizes 3m to a girls' size 12.  It's a beautiful, yet simple design that keeps the emphasis on the dress.  Very quick to make.  It's a great addition to your pattern collection! 

 As always, please feel free to share your creations on our Facebook page.  We'd love to see your take on a design! 

Happy Sewing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I'll try to respond as quickly as I can! Have a fabulous day full of sewing!