Monday, February 4, 2013

Sew and Tell with the Allie Dress


Who is ready for another Sew and Tell Pattern Review?!  We are!!  How about the Allie Dress from Sew Sweet Patterns?  To be honest, I want this dress in my in size.  Seriously.  I've been loving tunic-style tops with skinny jeans and boots lately.  This would be perfect!  I guess I'll have to settle for making one for my daughter, instead  ;) 

Today's review comes from our friend Debbie F.  She sells her creations in her shop on Etsy.

 
I taught myself to sew and have now been sewing for 20 years.  I started sewing for my daughter when she was born, and now I sew for my granddaughter.  Madison, my granddaughter, wore this dress with leggings and boots for a "hip" fall trend at church the other day, and got so many compliments on it!
 
It took me about 5 hours to print, cut, and sew the dress up. The pattern pieces matched up perfect while I was cutting it out.  It’s an easy dress to sew, and a beginner should have no trouble at all.  I made the Allie Dress in a size 4 and out of quilting cotton fabric.   The sleeve length was perfect on her, and the dress ran true to size.
   
During construction, I did a few things that were different from the pattern.  I turned the edges under on the yoke facing even though the instructions didn't call for that.  I also used hooks and eyes instead of buttons on the back of the dress, but next time I will use the buttons as suggested. 
 
I really like the yoke style on the dress.  And it looks good with or without the belt.  I love the pattern and plan on making some more dresses with it! 
 
 


Sew Sweet Patterns has a rather large collect of patterns on our site.  Lots of cute girly things for you to whip up!  The Allie Dress comes in sizes 12m- 7yrs.  And I know I've said it before, but I love long-sleeved dresses.  This one is just too cute!  I like dresses that allow you to use a more than one print so you can give it some personality.  You can do the belt and yoke in the same fabric (as Debbie did) or use complimentary prints like in the photo at the top of the page.  This is another one of those patterns that you can dress up or dress down, depending on what sort of look you are after.  Choose a sophisticated print and pair with tights and some pretty little shoes for a great dressy-dress, or layer over a pair of skinny jeans and boots for a more casual look.  Either way, it will be a hit!  Head over to the website to purchase this pattern at a 25% discount for the next few days!!

Speaking of skinny jeans...

Check out these Lovely Rita's by Shwin Designs!  Just precious!  These come in sizes 12m- 5 yrs.  I love the detail of the button flap at the ankle, but those can be left off if you prefer.  These have a flat front with elastic in the back for a great fit.  Make these in stretch denim, cotton, linen, or other bottom weight fabrics.  These might be too cute to tuck into a pair of boots! 



Or...


We also have the Skinny Jeans from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop!  These are available in sizes 12m- 10 years AND you also get an 18" doll pattern included!  I like that this pattern can be used for both boys and girls, you definitely get your money's worth.  The Skinny Jeans have a faux fly and an elastic waistband with a front button.  These are made with stretch denim so they are comfortable to wear and totally cool! 


 
 
As always, we would love for you to share pictures of your creations so we can all "ooh" and "ahh" over them on our Facebook page! 
 
Go sew something magical!!

5 comments:

  1. That turned out really cute. Thanks for showing me some new patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Debbie did a great job! We are having a lot of fun with the pattern reviews :)

      Delete
  2. Great review! I like the look of this dress - so cute and a bit different than what is out there pattern-wise. It seems like it would be a perfect dress for girls who are a bit older and even into their teens. I wish it came up to at least a size 10 so I could sew it for my niece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie! I think I'll try to contact Sew Sweet Patterns to see if there is any possibility they could make this pattern in larger sizes. It would definitely make a great tween dress!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I'll try to respond as quickly as I can! Have a fabulous day full of sewing!