Friday, May 31, 2013

Sew and Tell with the Heirloom Ruffled Overalls


We're back with another review!!  We took a little break to focus on the sale (we didn't think you would mind!)  Did you score some patterns you've had on your wish list for awhile??  Hopefully so!!  Now to find time to sew everything up...

Luckily it's summer, and if you're like me, your schedule magically opens up once school lets out.  That means more time for playing outside with the kids, keeping up with housework, and sewing!  Yay!! 

If you have a little bitty princess to sew for, this one is a must!  This is the Heirloom Ruffled Overalls from Monkeysbug PDF Patterns.  There's so much you can do to embellish it and make it appropriate for all types of weather!  The cutest (optional) ruffled pockets are included with the pattern, and you can make the overalls in either a shorts length or full length!  Gotta love options!  And since this is our latest and greatest featured pattern, we are offering it for 25% off!! 

Let's take a look at the review sent in to us by Lisa!


Pattern Review of: Monkeysbug Heirloom Ruffled Overalls
Size Range: NB-24m
Size I made: 3-6 months
Fabric I used: 100% cotton Cherry Print & Gingham

Hi Everyone, I am Lisa and I share my sewing adventures at: http://mommysapronstrings.blogspot.com.  I have been sewing since I was a child, and I enjoy all types of sewing, including heirloom sewing and smocking.  Even though I would consider myself an advanced seamstress, sometimes I just want to have fun and make something that's quick and cute.  That is why I chose the Monkeysbug Heirloom Ruffled Overalls for my review.

 I have 3 boys and 2 girls, from 2-17, but I made this sunsuit for my little God-daughter, Ella.  She is 4 1/2 months old and weighs 14 lbs.  I made a 3-6 month size, and while it had room to fit this summer, it also looked good right now.  
 
From cutting to finishing, this little cutie only took about 2 hours (and that's with interruptions from my kids!).  This could easily be made during naptime.  I like this pattern for several reasons: it is quick and easy, the results are adorable, it comes in long or short versions, and it would be cute with or without a shirt underneath.  It could work for any season.  My favorite thing are the leg ruffles- just adorable on chubby baby legs! 
 
This pattern had good directions, and the pattern pieces fit together properly.  It had a little hint to add a fold of ribbon in the back casing so you can identify front from back.  It's these little tricks that really add to a pattern so even experienced seamstresses can learn something new! 
 
This is a pattern with a lot of scope for variations.  I used 2 separate shoulder ties, to have a bow on each shoulder. There are directions to add pockets.  You could definitely embellish with machine embroidery.  You could use ribbon ties to make this an even quicker project.  I whipped up a quick headband to coordinate and found little red shoes.  Even though Ella wasn't thrilled to have her picture taken, she looks great in this romper!

 
 
I could not agree more!  Little Miss Ella does look pretty darn great in this romper!  That cherry fabric is just too sweet! 

This style of romper/overalls is easy and comfy to wear.  It's light and doesn't cling to baby's body like something more fitted would, which makes it a great option for especially warm days.  Oh my stars, I can't quit looking at those baby cheeks!  Whew... is anyone else getting baby fever?!?!  Back to what I was saying, sometimes those big, ruffly dresses aren't the best option to beat the heat in, KWIM?  These overalls are just as stylish and don't swallow the baby whole ;)


I think for today's Pair It Up portion, we'll do some cute shoes and an option for the boys ;)
 

 I am obsessed with the idea of making coordinating shoes to go with all the cute clothes I sew up.  Alas, my sweet Lu has been walking running since she was 9 months old, so I've not really been able to make her shoes.  She's the kinda gal who needs a nice sturdy shoe.  But those of you with sweet little babes who can rock a pair of crib shoes need to take a look at the collection we have on the website.  Sooo many cute options out there!  These are some of my favs! The Ruffle Strap Sandals from Peek-A-Boo Pattern Shop go up to a size 12-18m.  They would be a fabulous addition to any outfit!
 

If you've got a little guy you don't want to leave out (why should sissy get all the mommy-mades?) sew up a pair of overalls for him, too!  We love The Buttons & Buckles Overall & Shortall from Fishsticks Designs!  These can fit the little buddies sizes NB- 4T.  Several options are given for the strap and crotch closures that make getting dressed a breeze!  The shortall length is great for summer, and you can easily pair the overall (pants) length with a long-sleeved undershirt for cold weather.  Just adorable!
  
Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!  Don't forget you can get the Heirloom Ruffled Overalls for 25% off for the next few days!  Be sure to check out our other reviews, too, while you're here!  You can find the link at the top of the page :)
 
Go sew something magical!!
 

4 comments:

  1. is so lovely fabric combination!I love a cherry print!
    many kises for a sweet baby+++
    http://freestilcreatingbyvilly.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may be in love with the baby... but the outfit is cute, too! Hope you're having a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. These look so sweet! My only daughter is 5 now but I bet she would still wear these! She is a stinker for anything that is pink, flowery, or has bows...Having all 3--SCORE! Now I just need to get back my sewing skills that have been benched for sometime....Its like riding a bike, right?!? Thanks for sharing at www.frugalfitfamily.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness Miss Heather, if you ever need any help with anything sewing related, I'm your girl! And yes, your daughter does need these! This particular pattern only goes up to a 24 month, but there are a few VERY similar patterns on our website www.fairytalefrocksandlollipops.com that are by different designers that go up to larger sizes. If I can help with anything, please let me know!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I'll try to respond as quickly as I can! Have a fabulous day full of sewing!