Monday, July 1, 2013

Sew and Tell with the Ruby Bag

 
It's time for another Sew and Tell Review!  I always get so giddy whenever someone sends in their review!  I love reading them and looking at everyone's great work.  Our customers have some serious talent!  Plus, it's a wonderful way for me to decide what I want to sew next, haha!  With so many options on the website, I get overwhelmed!  So many patterns and so little time!  (Not a bad problem to have in all actuality!) 
 
Our review today is on the Ruby Bag from Artsy-Crafty Babe.  (And I think I'm going crazy, because every time I say Ruby Bag, I think "Ruby Jean," and then I start to sing Michael Jackson's Billy Jean.  Because that makes sense?!?)  But anyways, if you enjoy making bags or would like to try your hand at one, Artsy-Crafty Babe has a lovely collection of bag patterns.  Since the Ruby Bag is being reviewed today, it will be on sale for 25% off for the next few days, which would make it a great one to start with ;) 
 
This is a really nice sized bag.  The finished dimensions are 15” wide x 13” tall x 4” deep.  It would be perfect as a diaper bag (as we'll soon see!), roomy purse, or overnight bag for a quick trip where you don't need much.  Options are provided for both a front pocket or a center panel so you can change up the look if you make it multiple times.   
 
I'm going to hand it over to Melissa of The Cutest Thing You've Ever Seen!
 
Hi, my name is Melissa Jones.  I have been married to a Marine for 15 years, and we have 3 children ages 13, 12, and 10.  I was born and raised in Oklahoma and will always call Oklahoma home.  We move about every 3 years and have lived in Hawaii, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Oklahoma, and now, Illinois.  I love to redo old furniture, paint, make jewelry, scrapbook and sew... I would say I'm an intermediate sewer.  I love making bags and children's clothing!
 
This pattern is so easy and fun to make!  I think a beginner could definitely tackle this one!  The instructions are very easy to follow and well written.  The pattern pieces are included and have to be cut out and taped together... which took me no time at all.  They are labeled perfectly for easy assembly.  It took me about 2 hours to complete the entire bag... I could whip out several of these in a day!
The pattern includes instructions for 3 different styles.  I went with the Front Pocket style and decided to make it a diaper bag/child's bag because I found this adorable fabric at Hobby Lobby and HAD to have it!  It really turned out cute.  
I did tweak it a little and added the cute ruffle on the front pocket.  It is a simple alteration and so easy.  When you get to the step in the instructions for the front pocket, that is the time to add the ruffle.  I did this by cutting a piece of fabric 40” x 6 ½” to make a 3 inch wide ruffle. Fold the fabric in half length-wise, right sides facing each other, and sew up the long side (1/4 inch seam allowance).  Turn right side out and iron seam in center back of strip.  Sew a basting stitch up the middle of strip and gather to make your ruffle.  I attached the ruffle to the front of the pocket piece by pinning in place and stitching up the middle of ruffle, and then continued with regular instructions.  I also added a snap to the inside of the bag since I didn't do a flap.  I added a magnetic snap to the lining pieces after I cut them out.  Other than that, I went right along with the directions, and it was super easy and fun to make!!
I am donating this bag to an online auction on Facebook to help with the tornado relief efforts in Oklahoma.  Check it out at www.facebook.com/hopeforok.  Have fun and make one for yourself! :)

**********
 
Thanks so much Melissa!!  The ruffle down the front was a fun addition!  One of my favorite things to do with a new pattern is think up all the different ways I could embellish it to make it all my own.  Pockets, buttons, ruffles, maybe some piping... lots of ways to play up this pattern!
 
**********
 
Now let's play Pair it Up! 
 
 
Another really fun (and practical!) bag you can sew up is the Love Your Lunch Box pattern from Gingercake Patterns & Design!  A great way to personalize your child's lunchbox for school, daycare, road trips... wherever you need a meal on-the-go!  It has side pockets, a Velcro snap, and a bonus snack bag pattern included! 
 
 
All you photographers out there will appreciate this one!  Sew up your own Padded Camera Bag!  This pattern from Blank Slate Patterns is unique way to combine your two passions- photography and sewing!  Let your personality show with a fun camera bag that you create! 
 
**********
 
Alright all you (bag) ladies, don't forget that you can purchase the Ruby Bag for 25% off right now!  Browse through the enormous collection of bag patterns we have on the website- just type "bag" into the search bar and start shopping!
 
Go sew something magical!!
   

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Cute bags!! I love the fabrics. Stopping by from Sew Much Ado's linky party.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2013/06/update-and-es-lounge-pants.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alisha, how sweet of you to let me know you were here! I'd love to take at your post!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I'll try to respond as quickly as I can! Have a fabulous day full of sewing!