Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sew and Tell with the Sabrina Shirttail Dress

 
Hi everyone!  We have such a beautiful dress to share with you today!  Allow me to introduce you to the Sabrina Shirttail Dress from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop!  This is so fun and different from most of dresses out there.  Perfect for those no-fuss kinds of girls who don't want a lot of ruffles, but still enjoy a cute dress  :) 
 
The bib front with all its pretty pleats is just begging me to sew it up!  And I love the contrasting cuffs!  This dress is all about the details.  There are ribbon ties at the back, so those of you who dislike zippers and buttonholes can breath a sigh of relief ;)  I feel like there are a lot of modifications that can be made to change up the look to make it uniquely yours.  The buttons on the bib are decorative, so leave them on or off.  You can do some fabulous things with the right buttons... they can really make a certain fabric pop if done correctly.  You can play around with the bottom of the dress if you want a hemline that goes straight across instead of the shirttail look.  But, I think it gives the dress a lot of character as is.  Trim your bib with rick rack or lace, finish the back closure off with a button instead of a ribbon, do the bib and dress in the same fabric with only the bib-border a different color... the possibilities are endless!  Now the dress is really calling my name... 
 
And to further entice you, I have a review with a gorgeous little girl modeling the Sabrina Shirttail Dress.  This review was written by Theresa H. 
 
 
 
I have been sewing for just over two years. I taught myself to sew and sew nearly every day.  I love to sew clothing and test patterns.  I consider myself to be intermediate/advanced level.  The Sabrina Shirttail Dress is a great pattern for both beginning and advanced sewers.  No "special" skills are needed to sew this pattern.  It comes in a wide range of sizes.....3 months to 8 years!
The tutorial/pattern downloaded and printed easily.  The pattern pieces matched up perfectly and are color-coded for each of the different sizes for easy cutting.  A measurement chart is given, as well as directions on how to choose the right size and how to customize fit.  My finished garment measurements match the charts measurements exactly.
The tutorial is very thorough, clear, and easy to follow with detailed instructions.  Color photos are included to aid in the understanding of the instructions.  The pattern runs true to size.  It has a shirttail hemline falling at the knees.  The sleeve length is perfect and includes a placket with great detail.  It has a pleated bib front and a keyhole opening with bow ties in the back.  I used bias tape instead of ribbon for my back ties.  That is the only thing I changed in my version of The Sabrina Shirttail Dress.  I didn't do the optional decorative stitching or use buttons on the bib since I used a fabric with a busy pattern.  The next time I make this, I will probably lengthen the dress a couple of inches which is very easy to do!
I used 100% woven cotton fabric.  For the main dress parts, I used Studio E Bloom Swirls in purple.  For the front bib, sleeve plackets and sleeve cuffs, I used Studio E Bloom Cherry Blossoms in purple. The Cherry Blossoms line is a bit hard to find, but oh so pretty!  I only used two different fabrics but this dress can be made with more if you use different coordinating fabrics for the dress, bib, sleeve plackets, and sleeve cuffs.  The Shirttail Dress is perfect for everyday wear, or you can dress it up with fancy fabric, satin ribbon back ties, and blingy buttons!  It only took about an hour and forty-five minutes to cut out and sew!  As you can see, my daughter loves hers!

 
That is such a happy dress :)  It reminds me that spring is just around the corner!!  Hurray!!  It would be a great dress for school for the older girls.  It's trendy, not over-the-top, and would be easy to move around in.  Make sure you head to the website to get your Sabrina Shirttail Dress Pattern for 25% off for the next few days!! 
 
While you are on the website shopping, have a little looksee at The Sewing Loft's Cupcake Backpack.  How cute is that?!  I don't think there is any girl anywhere in the world who wouldn't go crazy over this backpack.  If it's for a super special little lady you could take the time to sew on little pearls or buttons for the "sprinkles!"  Would that not be precious?  Decorate your cupcake however you like!  Fill it with books, crayons, toys, clothes... whatever you need for a trip to the library, long car rides, or weekends with grandma. 
 
 
You may have noticed how adorable the little girl in the photos above looked wearing her crotched hat.  Foot Loose & Fancy Free has a really great pattern (several really) that is perfect for beginners called the Cloche Hat with Ribbon.  Whether you crotchet or would like to learn how, this is a great pattern for you that produces beautiful results!  If you don't crotchet, maybe you have a grandmother, aunt, or friend who does that could whip up a few for you.  The pattern is available in sizes New Born- Adults, so this one is perfect for you too ladies! 
Head over to the website and get your copy of the Sabrina Shirttail Dress while it's on sale!  I hate when I see something on sale, and I think I'll just get it later.  Then when I need it, it's not on sale anymore  :(  Leave us a comment and let us know what you think about the dress, about the review, about the blog, about what you had for dinner last night... whatever you like ;)  Hope you all have a lovely day full of productive sewing, fabric shopping, and pattern browsing (possibly my 3 favorite things!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I'll try to respond as quickly as I can! Have a fabulous day full of sewing!