Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sew and Tell with the Ava Knot Dress

 
Knot dresses are one of the most beloved styles for little girls to wear.  They're cute, versatile, and easy to make!  Whether you wear it in the summer with some cute sandals or in the winter layered over a long-sleeved tee, leggings, and boots this is a great design that you'll want to make over and over again! 
 
The Ava Knot Dress from Pink Poodle Bows is a beautiful sewing pattern that is available in sizes 6m- Girls 12.  The optional apron front gives just a hint of vintage charm, while also providing a fun contrast of fabric.  The fabric combination possibilities are endless... Every piece can be a separate print for a really fun and unique dress, or you can mix and match just 2 or 3 prints to keep it clean and understated.  Sometimes simple can be more  :)  The fit tends to be very forgiving on dresses with the knot straps because you decide where on the strap to make the knot.  There isn't any worrying about whether your button placement is a tad off with the possibility of making the dress sit too far down on the chest.  Just make your knot higher on the strap to make the dress sit higher. 
 
Apron dresses allow you to really get creative!  I've been quite surprised at some amazing things women have done with their aprons.  You can showcase a unique panel, add decorative trim, use applique/embroidery, make it patchwork, sew on fabric flowers or other embellishment... just have fun!!  My favorite part of sewing is being able to put my own creative spin on a project, and an apron dress gives you a great blank canvas to work with! 
 
Here's a review sent in to us by Julia T. 
 
 
I decided to make the Ava Knot Dress from Pink Poodle Bows for your review.  I thought it was a super cute pattern and would look adorable on my 18 month old granddaughter!  I've been sewing since I took Home Ec. in junior high, so I've been sewing 45 years.  I can make most anything, but really enjoy sewing for children.  When my son and daughter were small I made most of their clothes.  We would just go to the local store - they would tell me what they liked, and I would duplicate!!!!!!!!!  That was much cheaper, plus they had original designs that no one else would be wearing.
The Ava Knot Dress is so cute and simple!  You would definitely need some sewing experience, but with some help most anyone could make this little dress.  It took about an hour to cut out (including tracing the reusable pattern pieces) and about 2 hours and 15 minutes to sew from start to finish!  I read through the instructions, and they were clear and concise, but I usually batch sew and just used them as a guide.  I used a combination of dancing teapots fabric and Williamsburg blue microcheck gingham.  I chose to interface the bodice to make it a little "crisper" looking!  The gingham is such a lightweight fabric I felt it needed the body!  (Especially for the buttonholes.)  I also chose to topstitch the garment which makes it look less "homemade".  I did not add one, but definitely think a fabric sash or bow would add to the back of the dress.  The apron on the front is a cute accent for that side!  I would definitely recommend this pattern to everyone who sews!  It looks adorable on and sews up quickly.  I believe it will be a cool addition for my granddaughter's summer dress wardrobe!
 
  
I just love blue on a baby girl  :)  So precious!  I adore the first photo where she is waving to us, haha! 
 
If you want to sew up one yourself, grab a few coordinating prints and get the pattern here for 25% off right now!  We'll have it on sale for about a week, so make sure you get your copy while it's at this great price!  We're also pleased to tell you this pattern comes with both pattern pieces and fabric measuring charts, so you can cut out your pieces whichever way you prefer.  This would be a great pattern to use for a patriotic 4th of July outfit! 
 
********** 
 
For our Pair it Up feature, let's take a look at a few of our other favorite Ava patterns! 
 
 
Every little girl needs a cute little pleated skirt.  This is the Ava Pleated Skirt from Hadley Grace Designs.  It comes in sizes NB- Girls 14.  That's an excellent size range for the price!  These are so cute paired with appliqued t-shirts or embellished tanks.  Another great pattern that you'll find lots of uses for throughout the seasons! 
 
 
You can never have too many tote bags, especially when they are as gorgeous as this one!  The Ava Rose Tote from Artsy-Crafty Babe is as functional as it is pretty!  You can even make it reversible!  Use it as a purse, diaper bag, to carry papers and grade books back and forth from school, carry it to the pool... we know you'll be able to find a use for it! 
 
**********
 
Hope you all have a wonderful week!  Go sew something magical!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I'll try to respond as quickly as I can! Have a fabulous day full of sewing!