Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sew and Tell with the Miss Lily Dress

 

Do you love sewing up sweet little dresses your daughter can show off at church?  Ha, I do!  The ladies at church love to "ooohhh" and "aaahhh" over my daughter in her mommy made creations, and I eat it up, lol!  We're featuring a pattern today that will be sure to turn heads and create a fuss wherever you are ;)  And it's 25% off on the website until June 30th, 2013!

This is the Miss Lily Dress from The Handmade Dress.  It comes in sizes 6m- 4T or 5T- 10 years (sold separately).  The bodice is a peasant-style top, the skirt has a bubble hemline, and there is a sewn-on ribbon sash.  Reading through the pattern, I was super impressed at how detailed the directions are.  There are only 14 pages total including the pattern pieces.  Each step is numbered and accompanied by an easy to understand colored illustration.  And if you happen to drop your binder of PDF patterns, and they all fall to the floor in one big mess, don't fear- each page is numbered and all the pattern pieces are labeled  :)  A size chart is included so you can measure your child and decide on the perfect fit.  Samantha (the fabulous designer) also includes tons of tips and tricks to make this project, as well as others, a breeze!  My favorite part of the pattern is the one-page Quick Reference Guide that gives you a condensed, yet surprisingly thorough, run-down of the entire pattern...love it!!! 
 
As I mentioned above, this would be such a beautiful "Sunday Best" dress, but would also look great in a variety of other situations.  In all white, with a colored ribbon sash, it would be a beautiful flower girl dress or Easter dress.  In a beautiful red taffeta, this would make a stunning Christmas dress (just add a bolero).  Wear it for photo shoots, kindergarten graduation... anytime your little one needs a special dress!  The bubble hemline gives the skirt a lot of body and creates a more "fancy" feel!
 
This is what our reviewer, Heather B. of MimiLove Boutique, thought of the Miss Lily!
 
 
My name is Heather, and I have enjoyed sewing for as long as I can remember.  I handsewed a lot of things when I was just 7 or 8 years old, and most memorably, sewed a pillow for my sister who was born when I was nine, which resulted in it being her favorite "security blanket" so I was constantly doing repairs to it.  I even hand embroidered her name on it and trimmed it with lace :)  It was only the last couple of years, when that same little sister gave me a niece, that I ventured into the world of boutique clothing.  I was determined she would have the cutest wardrobe around!!
 
 
 Today I am reviewing The Handmade Dress's "Miss Lily Dress" in size 6m - 4T.  I chose to make it a size 2, for my niece's Easter dress.  As I always do with a new pattern, I followed it exactly.  I feel like this gives me a chance to "get to know" the pattern better, actually see what I like or dislike about it, and what I would want to do differently the next time.  The only thing I think I would do differently on this pattern is create a sash made from coordinating/contrasting fabric, as I'm not a big fan of the ribbon.  I also think that because the bodice of the dress seems quite roomy, I may try shirring it next time for a slightly different look and fit.
 
 
The instructions are very clear, and the illustration guide is very helpful when you get into construction of the skirt (and bubble skirts have always confused me, so this really helped to keep me on track)!  I also loved the quick reference guide - I wish all patterns came with this, it will be so simple to put this dress together in the future with this Quick Reference Guide.
 
 
Overall, I was very pleased with this pattern and how the dress turned out.  My niece loves it and so does her mom.  I used a pink and white damask fabric for the full dress and a cute light blue ribbon with pink owls on it.  For the underskirt (not visible) I used a light grey, lightweight broadcloth.  I recommend doing this, so you're not using your designer fabric in an area that won't be seen.
 
 
I would recommend this pattern, especially to anyone that is intimidated by the bubble skirt - this pattern makes it SO easy, and it turns out just as cute as you hope it will!
 
**********
 
That turned out so pretty, Heather!  It made a gorgeous Easter dress!  Didn't her niece look like she loved it, too?  Doesn't matter how cute a dress is, if your little one won't wear it ;) 
 
**********
 
Let's Pair it Up now!  This week, we'll take a look at a few of my other favorite bubble styles that are a bit more casual, but just as irresistible!
 
 
The Poppy Bubble Tank Tunic from LilyGiggle is a really fun way to wear a bubble hemline- on top!  This knit tunic is a great way to recycle old T-shirts, or use some of those pretty knits sitting in your stash!  It's really easy to embellish the bodice with the sassy ruffles by following the directions provided in the pattern.  The result is an awesome girly top that's perfect for all your summertime activities!  You can make this pattern in sizes 12m- 7 years.
 
 
 
If a bubble skirt is more your style, the Sadie Bubble Skirt from Hadley Grace Designs is a great choice!  It comes in a huge size range- from NB- 14 years.  Plus, this is a skirt that you can dress up or down by changing up your fabric choices.  It looks just as adorable as an everyday skirt in cottons as it does as a dressy skirt in satin!  Plus, it looks really cute paired with leggings for added modesty and/or warmth when the air starts to turn cool. 
 
**********
 
Hope you all enjoy your week!  Don't forget to purchase your Miss Lily pattern right now for 25% off!  Be sure to choose the correct size you need for your little one since there are two versions available! 
 
Go sew something magical!!   
 
 

2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/two-girls-and-a-party-link-up-22/
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We'll definitely check this out :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I'll try to respond as quickly as I can! Have a fabulous day full of sewing!