Monday, September 23, 2013

Sew and Tell with the Bailey Tunic


Hi everyone!  Who's ready for another Sew and Tell?  Today we've got the Bailey Tunic from GreenStyleCreations.  We know y'all are probably pretty darn excited about that because GreenStyleCreations is one of the most talked about pattern lines right now.  Designer Angelyn Bennett creates gorgeous patterns made for knit fabrics that are perfect for school, play, and everyday wear.  Her collection also include plenty of designs for women, so go pick out a few and do some selfish-sewing, ladies! 
 
We love the Bailey Tunic because:
 A.)  Look at it. It's stinkin' adorable! 
B.)  It's a super quick sew. 
C.)  It's made of knit, so it won't wrinkle easily, plus it's comfy and easy to wear!
D.)  The whole tutorial is only 13 pages long!  That includes the pattern pieces, too!  So if you are one who likes to print out the whole thing, you won't be using up a lot of paper and ink.

This pattern can be made in sizes 12m- 12 girls.  It comes with an optional short-sleeve template if you prefer to add sleeves.  You can get as crazy with the embellishment on the bib as you like, or you can keep it sweet and simple, if you prefer.  Don't be afraid to jump in and try a knit sewing project :)  This was our reviewer's first time using knits, and she did a great job!  If you're still feeling a little nervous, take a look at our Knit-acular, Spectacular post from a few months back that will help give you a little more confidence when sewing with knits. 

**********

Let's take a look at the review Neila sent in!  You can see her work at Speckled Pup Originals on Etsy.


Hello!  I recently completed the GreenStyleCreations Bailey Tunic.  I am somewhat of a new sewer, having only done wonky hems on my Mom's 50 year old Singer until Christmas of last year, when I received a new sewing machine from my sweet hubby.  Ok, basically, he said, "Go buy what you want, and I'll pay for it," which is really the best of both worlds!  Since then, I have been sewing a few dresses, completed a couple of sew-a-longs, and most recently made some purses.  I have been a little afraid of knits, so I decided to "just do it" and give this pattern a try. 
 
This pattern was very easy to follow and not too many pieces to cut out/tape together.  This pattern took about 2 hours, start-to-finish.  That included the front trim and buttons, which I am a little slow at.    I like that there were options for the front trim.  I chose to add rick rack and buttons to match.
 
I chose a fuchsia knit from Hobby Lobby (thin) and a turquoise zebra print from Hancock Fabrics (much thicker and nicer).  I'm new to the knit world, like I said, and didn't know what I was looking for.  However, I will say, both were easy to work with.  I dreaded working on the neckline, but a good rule of thumb is to cut the neckline 25% smaller than the neck opening, so it doesn't look stretched out and wonky (and trying the neckline over your model's head before attaching to the shirt helps too!)  I was quite proud of how my neckline turned out! 
 
I made the 5/6 size for my daughter, who is in 6/7's now.  Based on the measurements, however, I added a couple of inches where it says "lengthen or shorten here," and it was just right for my daughter.  So it tends to run a little on the bigger side.  If you are making it for someone who is between sizes, I would choose the smaller size to make, then just add length as needed.
I LOVE this pattern, and will be one of my go-to patterns for tanks from now on!  Best of all, my daughter LOVES it!!  
 
**********
 
I am a huge zebra print fan, so this top gets major kudos in my book!  And y'all, this was her first knit project!!  Isn't that awesome??  Doesn't that make you want to go give knit a try, lol?  I've really and truly decided I like sewing with knits recently, and it's especially easy with my serger.  Why don't you try out this pattern since we've got it for 25% off right now?  It will only be on sale for a few days, so make sure you get your hands on it NOW!! 
 
**********
 

Pair it Up!

Take a look at these super sweet finds that will perfectly compliment your Bailey Tunic!
 
 
The Bella Bubble Skirt from Laurence & Carmine Australia is a new addition to our shop.  It's a gorgeous bubble skirt that would be perfect for cooler weather!  Can't you just see it with some thick tights, furry boots, and a cardi over the Bailey Tunic?  You can sew this one up in either knits or non-stretch fabrics- both work great!  The size range is 3-6 years. 
 
 
The Little Big Pants pattern from LilyGiggle is not only fun to say, but it's also a great pair of cropped pants.  The wide legs and flat-front waist (elastic in back) give these pants a lot of personality.  These are perfect for up-cycling those vintage sheets or curtains that have sweet lace edging!  These can be made in sizes 12m- 10 years. 
 
**********
 
Make sure you go to the website and purchase your copy of the Bailey Tunic for 25% off while it's still on sale  :)  Also, we'd love for you to join us as we kick off our 1st Annual Handmade Halloween Costume ContestSimply design a Halloween costume around one or more of the over 800 patterns we carry on our website.  We're giving away over $300 in awesome prizes from some awesome vendors!  Find the details by clicking on the banner below :)
 
 

 Go sew something magical!


 

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I'll try to respond as quickly as I can! Have a fabulous day full of sewing!