Monday, September 9, 2013

Sew and Tell with the Metropolitan Pants

 
When I think of the Metropolitan Pants from Terra's Treasures, three words come to mind:  fun, funky pockets!  Now, if your style is a bit more conservative, and it's a solid colored pair of pants you're after, these will fit the bill just fine- just use the same fabric for the pockets as for the pants!  I, personally, am really digging the colorful contrast and think it's a great way to give a pair of kid's pants some spunk! 
 
I think you'll be impressed by everything these pants have to offer!  First off, the price is very reasonable (and even more so since we've got them for 25% off right now!).  Plus, you're getting a lot for your money.  This pattern works well for both boys and girls and can be made as capris if that's the look you're after.  The size range is from 0-6 months all the way to a size 10 (all sizes for each pattern piece are nested and color-coded), so you could just about make a pair for every kid in your house ;)  The welt pockets in the back are phenomenal, and the pattern's directions for how to make them are very detailed and include a lot of helpful photographs.  There are also functional pockets in the front, a flat-front waist band, and an elastic waistband in the back to ensure a good fit.  You'll end up with a very well-made pair of pants that will look great for school, church, or play-time!  Dress them up or down depending on your fabric choices.
 
Elisa wrote an excellent review of these and made her kids some pretty spiffy pants!  Let's take a look!
 
**********
 
 
Hi!  I'm Elisa from CharmingDoodle.com and am excited to be part of Sew and Tell.  I made two pairs of Terra's Treasure Metropolitan Pants, one for a boy, and one for a girl.  This is such a CUTE pattern and an easy sew.  I highly recommend it!
I have four kids (2 boys, 2 girls) and have only been sewing for about a year.  When I discovered the world of PDF patterns, I fell in love!  I'm always on the lookout for new patterns, and if a pattern can work for both my boys AND my girls...well, it's worth getting.
 
My two oldest are in 1st Grade and Kindergarten this year, and they have to wear school uniforms.  Their shirts have the school's logo, and their pants/skirts/shorts can only be black, navy, or khaki.  But the pants can have embellishments if they're small, so I chose to give this pattern a try and add orange pockets (at my son's request) and flowered pockets to my girl's pants to make them a little less 'uniform-y.'  The contrast fabric is the perfect punch to a pair of pants for them both.
 
Let's talk about the sewing details:
 
Overall, these pants are very easy and quick to sew.  Any adventurous beginner can sew these, and expert sewers can have fun adding unique details to this pattern.  From the time I cut out the pieces to the time I was finished sewing (I made both pairs at the same time) it was about 2 hours.  One pair would be even faster!
 
The big challenge in sewing the pants is figuring out what size to make.  There's no size chart with the pattern.  I made a size 7 for my son but they are tight at the waist so next time I would make an 8.  My daughter wears a 5/6 and I made a 6.  It fits her well and there is even some room to grow.  So if in doubt or if your child is between sizes in ready-to-wear, I'd make these in the bigger size.
 
 
There are only a few pattern pieces to cut out, and it's a bit confusing at first to determine which ones should be the contrast fabric for the pockets (if you make them with contrast fabric...you could just make them solid and they'd be cute too).  If you want to use contrast fabric, you'll cut out the pieces shown in the second cutting layout diagram with your contrast fabric, and the other three pattern pieces shown from your main fabric.
 
I admit that I was a bit intimidated at first by the look of the welt pockets.  I've only sewn welt pockets one other time, but it didn't take long to get the hang of them.  The instructions in the pattern are very clear, and if you read it carefully and look at the pictures provided, you'll be a pro at welt pockets in no time.
 
 
 I finished my son's pants first and after they were done I wished I had topstitched them with orange down the sides of the pants.  But I didn't want to pick them apart to do that...so I left them as is and decided to topstitch my daughter's in pink before I finished sewing the legs together.  It was an easy detail you can add to give the pants some personality.
I also made another pattern change to my daughter's.  After making my son's pants, I saw that the waist of these pants sits pretty high.  I actually cut them down over an inch for my daughter. To do that, I just cut the front pieces shorter at the front waist and then made the pocket piece deeper so you'd still see the pretty contrast fabric.  I did not cut the back piece down, instead I just folded it down more than the pattern calls for, and my elastic casing was bigger.
 
 
 I plan on making these pants again in the future and will probably try to add a zip fly to them.  The shape is really nice, and the length is great, so I think there's an endless amount of possibilities for these pants.
 
And oh, the compliments my kids have gotten.  It's pretty unique to have orange welt pockets for a boy, and I'm often asked where I bought them.  Little do they know that anyone can make these great pants with Terra's Treasure Metropolitan Pants pattern.  Hope you get it and whip some up too.
 
**********
 
How sweet are those two?  And didn't those pants turn out great!?!  I adore the flower print used for the pockets on her daughter's pants.  If your kids have to wear school uniforms, this might be a great option for you.  The school year has only just begun, and you've got plenty of time to sew up a few pairs to last throughout the year.  And at 25% off, you can count this as back- to- school savings :) 
 
**********

Pair it Up!!

 
Let's take a look at a few other of our Back To School Favorites!
 
 
First up is the Classic Polo from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop.  This is definitely one of those patterns you need in your collection!  It can be made for both boys and girls, with shorts sleeves or long sleeves, and has an optional chest pocket.  It can be made in sizes 3m- 12 years.  Love the way this one comes together!
 
 
 I think it's the plaid fabric, but this dress just SCREAMS back to school to me!  This is the Colette Dress from Petite Kids Boutique.  It is available in sizes 12m- 6 years.  You can make it with sweet little puff sleeves or sleeveless and with or with a sash.  The back has a button closure, and it features a full, twirly skirt.  Add the sash and puff sleeves along with some fancy fabric, and you've turned your school dress into a creation she can wear to church, for pictures, or any other special occasion.  Very versatile!
 
**********
 
 Hope all of your children (or grandchildren, nieces, nephews...) are off to a great school year!  Don't forget to head over to the website and purchase your Metropolitan Pants for 25% off for the next few days.  And if you are already planning to make your little one's Halloween costume, or if I just now made you think that's a pretty good idea, take a look at our Handmade Halloween Costume Contest!  We're giving away over $300 in prizes!  It's going to tons of fun, and we'd love for you to join us!  Find the details by clicking on the banner below :)
 
 
 Go sew something magical!

 
 

Follow on Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. What a great pair of pants! I love the pockets! I'd love for you to link your outfit to our Fall Clothing Party!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pockets, too! Thanks for the heads-up! I just went over and linked up the post and followed your blog :) You should enter our Halloween Costume Contest! We've got some great prizes, and it will be a lot of fun! http://stitch-it-up.blogspot.com/2013/09/1st-annual-handmade-halloween-costume.html

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! They are some snazzy pants, aren't they?

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I'll try to respond as quickly as I can! Have a fabulous day full of sewing!